AucklandNZ$95,000 - NZ$100,000 per yearProgramme
Greenpeace is an independent global campaigning organisation, which uses creative confrontation to protect Earth’s ability to nurture life in all its diversity. Joining Greenpeace puts you at the centre of the fight for the environment against big polluters and climate change.
ABOUT THE ROLE
New Zealanders have a right to swimmable rivers, safe drinking water, and a stable climate. We are looking for an experienced campaigner to lead our freshwater campaigning work, which will hold the government and the dairy industry to account for the biodiversity loss and health impacts of deteriorating water quality in Aotearoa New Zealand.
The Freshwater Campaigner will deliver a campaign strategy that prevents the rollback of critical freshwater regulations, that builds and inspires public support for greater protection of rivers, lakes and drinking water.
Lead a team to deliver wins for freshwater and drinking water through strategically-selected tactics
Be Greenpeace’s voice on freshwater in the media
Build relationships with rural communities, iwi, hapū, NGOs, activists, media and politicians
Use a range of tactics, including community events, nonviolent direct action, media, communications, policy work and more
Maximise opportunities for successful campaigning in a dynamic world.
Your background might be in grassroots activism, science and research, political campaigning, marketing or business - regardless of where you have worked, you will have experience developing successful strategies and leading a team to deliver them. You will have an understanding of power and the different approaches to social change.
You will be experienced with decision-making, prioritisation and creative problem solving. You will have a good knowledge of freshwater issues including scientific, legal and political, and experience of communicating the issues clearly and compellingly.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• At least 5 years’ experience relevant to strategic environmental campaigning (professionally and/or voluntarily)
• Excellent strategic thinking skills
• Experience in leading and inspiring teams to deliver a strategy and workplan
• Resilient, comfortable with confrontation and passionate about defending nature
• Strong public speaking and clear, succinct written communication skills
• Experience of building trusting relationships with a range of stakeholders
• Comfortable working with data and science as a foundation for campaign work
This role is based in Tāmaki Makaurau (Auckland) and is a full time (37.5 hours per week) permanent position.
You must be a New Zealand citizen or resident, or hold an existing New Zealand work permit to be considered for this role.
What we can offer you:
- Zero excess health insurance plan
- Flexible working hours & hybrid work arrangement
- Sustainable commuting allowance
- 4 wellbeing days and Birthday leave
- Long service leave after 4 years
- EAP for professional and personal support
- Pet friendly office
- Topped up parental leave and contribution to childcare costs for returning parents
- Learning and development programme
- All staff training at least twice per year based on engagement feedback
- Access to the Greenpeace global network and skill shares
When you work for Greenpeace Aotearoa, you join a global network of people fighting to protect the environment for future generations to come. Our salaries are competitive with the not-for-profit sector and the range for this role is $95,000 - $100,000.
The closing date for applications is 12th March 2024, please note this recruitment process may close early so if you are interested we would encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
Greenpeace is an equal opportunity employer with a longstanding commitment of providing a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of each individual. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic and would like to invite you especially to apply!